Gartien Pineapple Cakes @ Jalan Penang, Penang

DSC_0442

A friend recommended that I gave Gartien a try and added that their pineapple tarts would rival those from Taiwan's. So I did and ended up with a parking ticket - but it was well worth it. Gartien has a cafe in Georgetown that sells only pineapple jam and tarts. Turns out majority of the clientele end up eating their tarts in the cafe too.

The picture above depicts their humble days in a shophouse.

DSC_0443

The counter that greets, just boxes and more boxes ready for purchase.

DSC_0444

Polaroid love from customers.

DSC_0006

If I had bought luggage on the way back I definitely would not have given a miss on their "Buy 3 get 1 jam free" promotion. 6 pieces in a box costing RM 28.


DSC_0008 

I suppose this is their usual packaging - other festivals like Mid Autumn reveal a different look. 

DSC_0009

Made with tons of love with flour, eggs, butter and of course pineapple from a "nearby plantation".

DSC_0010

The pastry is buttery and crumbly all at once, the main differentiating factor for these is the pulpy jam that is moderately sweet. Close to SunnyHills but I am leaning towards this for a healthier finish. 6 pieces came and went so quickly, I am kicking my butt for being so conservative in my purchase!

Now, I am saying - Leaving Penang without a box is a terrible sin.

Gartien Pineapple Tarts
Jalan Penang
Georgetown

Comments